Why is wisdom teeth removal necessary? Well, it isn’t always, depending on the size of your mouth. But for most patients, wisdom tooth extraction is recommended- and for good reason!
Your wisdom teeth may threaten your strong smile and overall wellness. Don’t worry–if you need wisdom teeth removal, the Winston-Salem Dental Group will prioritize your comfort. Our skillful team will extract the teeth with precision while making sure you remain pain-free.
What is the Purpose of Wisdom Teeth Removal?
Here are the facts you need to know about wisdom teeth:
- It seems that wisdom teeth used to fit properly into the human mouth.
- Over time, the human mouth has evolved and become smaller.
- Today, most people only have enough room in their mouth to accommodate 28 teeth.
Consequences of Impacted Wisdom Teeth
So what kind of damage can wisdom teeth cause when left alone? If you do not have sufficient space in your mouth for wisdom teeth, you may experience:
- Failed Eruption: When the wisdom teeth become stuck beneath the gums, they are known as impacted wisdom teeth. Impacted wisdom teeth cause severe pain and can also lead to dangerous bodily infection.
- Partial Eruption: When one or more wisdom teeth do not have space to emerge, they may come through only partially. This can lead to muscle spasms, gum infection, and swollen lymph nodes.
- Angled Eruption: Without enough space, the wisdom teeth may grow in, but at a poor angle. A sideways or badly angled wisdom tooth also causes pain and swelling.
When is the Right Time for Wisdom Tooth Extraction?
We recommend patients come into our office in their late teens for a wisdom teeth assessment. We can take x-rays of the mouth to determine if impacted wisdom teeth are a possibility.
Patients who have surpassed their teen years can also visit us to learn more about the status of their wisdom teeth. Some of the symptoms that indicate wisdom teeth problems or impacted wisdom teeth include:
- Swelling of the gums, jaw, or cheeks
- Pain in the jaw or back of the mouth
- Lingering bad taste in the mouth or bad breath
- Jaw discomfort when chewing
Your Comfort Matters
We use wisdom tooth extraction to eliminate pain, not cause it. We consider your comfort during every step of the process. You can plan on a pleasant wisdom tooth extraction process at Winston-Salem Dental Group. To schedule an exam, give us a call today.